What We Do
We work for all prisoners wherever they are and do not make any distinction in terms of religious faith, the nature of the conviction or of a prisoner’s status.
Our services include:
- Providing information and support to prisoners in relation to a wide range of issues, including repatriation, deportation, health and legal matters, discrimination and ill-treatment;
- Keeping in contact with prisoners through letter writing, newsletters and cards for Christmas and St. Patrick’s Day;
- A pen friend scheme which involves volunteers in Ireland corresponding on a regular basis with ICPO clients;
- Representing prisoners’ interests to relevant parties (Irish embassies and consulates, welfare agencies, probation and legal officers);
- Monitoring repatriation applications with the Department of Justice and Equality;
- Providing assistance to prisoners in preparation for their release;
- Visiting prisoners and assisting families with travel and accommodation for prison visits;
- Providing support and advice to the families of Irish prisoners overseas who face many challenges as they deal with an extremely distressing situation.